||[Jan. 20th, 2005|04:15 pm]
Internet connection coming and going.
Mail sErever timing out.
Passwords keep on needing to be reset.
Are those symptoms you are seeing?
Then you have the new virus / worm I mentioned earlier.
How do I know this? I couldn't possibly say :-I
i have firfox - um as of lastnight. should i delete the partitions and create new - blah blah?
shit! what antivirus you use peter?
what antivirus you use peter?
On my own laptop Norton
@ work McAfee
Updating the virus defs is the first thing I do on my own PC when I start up and on my work PC it is done automatically at logon.
I do run Firefox (unoficially). the problem is once this virus / worm gets into a network it searches for PCs with weak passwords on their Admin user and tries to login on them - creating a lot of network traffic and sometimes locking out "real" users from their machines - oh and also crashing authentication servers and proxy servers.
I just hope today's better.
ive reformatted 2 times in 2 days because of those very symptoms and a couple others, nothings worked - now what
Well in our case we hunt down the infected machines, get them off the net (to reduce traffic and to stop further spread), remove the nasty (at least one version of it "hides" as MS Messenger) and put it back on-line.
For you I Guess it should go something like:-
1. Clean OS install (are you Windoze or Linux now?)
2. Start your anti-virus software
3. Load all OS patches - you may have to go on-line for this but there is probably no choice. If you have a fire wall check that nothing unexpected is going in otr out during this period.
4. Load all updates for your anti-virus software
6. Check for any mal-ware
7. Relag i the knowledeg that you'll probably have to do it all again soon.